Wednesday, December 9, 2009

30 Ties - Day 5



Behind Oakland there is the Redwood Regional Park, a marvelous place to go for a bike ride. After the birthday party last night, and debauchery with the brother (r-o-double b!) the night before last, it was seriously time to take a long, late evening calorie-burning bike ride around the park. Of course I took with me the tie marked for day 5.

The temperature outside was, to put it bluntly, ice cold. I took to the street bundled up in my best goretex, a Merino wool skullcap, and my iPhone. The three layers of clothes I had on were not enough though. The first leg of the loop featured a long downhill stride along windy, tree-shaded country roads. Because I had forgotten to wear gloves my hands damn near froze off. Yet with the fresh, cold air streaming past me I didn't care.

Once atop the ridge after a grueling uphill climb, the skyline road back to the truck was spectacular! The recent storm left patches of snow that glistened with pinks and purples from the setting sun, and between the trees peeked breathtaking views of the bay. With me, my bike, the rad blue emblazoned tie around my neck, and the gritty feel of the road, time stood still leaving me at peace.

No comments: