Saturday, December 19, 2009

30 Ties - Day 15


Today is the first day of my 30's! The day started out by going to breakfast at Ella's, I ordered the chicken hash with a buttermilk biscuit. I then went for a walk along the bluffs at Land's End.

Walking along the wind-blown bluffs I had a chance to reflect. In thinking about all this turning 30 business, I realized I hadn't given it much thought. Maybe I was in denial of my older age; or maybe it was because I had always concluded turning 30 was no big deal. However, I came to understand that entering into your 30's was an important milestone. Not so much that turning 30 actually means anything--years are but a man made construction. But more so that the event provides an opportunity to take stock. To take stock of where you are, how you got there, the things you have accomplished, and what lay ahead. I left Land's End not only with badly wind swept hair, but with a comforted sense of what lay ahead in the next stage of my life.

After a great day in the city, I headed home. I spent the rest of the night listening to music (jj, memory tapes, dirty projectors, toro y moi, fever ray, and au revior simone) and organizing old photos. I also did the dishes. The picture for day 15 shows me doing the dishes wearing the tie for day 15, a 90's-style patterned tie. I'm also wearing a new t-shirt featuring the artist Amos Goldbaum (thanks Megan.)

With gratitude, Ryan.

P.s., for those that have trodded through the heavy sentiment of the last two posts, rest assured I intend to revert to more jocund material in the future :).

No comments: