Wednesday, December 16, 2009

30 Ties - Day 12


Freedom's Front Door. Where do I start with my day at MEPS? There were so many funny, noteworthy events throughout my long, six hours at the facility. I, of course, wore one of my new ties, a lovely blue paisley tie by Pierre Cardin.

I would first like to commend the personnel who assisted me. They were kind and affable, with an exacting efficiency throughout the whole process.
 
Once I arrived, I got my vision and hearing tested. Nothing extraordinary there, except that I failed the depth perception test by a smidgen. The projector-like eye piece was cumbersome, and I found it difficult to point out the little circles that protruded out from the others. This precludes me from being a pilot I was told. I wonder if I would have passed the test as a youngin'?

I guess the most amusing part of the process was stripping down to my underwear in a big room with about twenty other applicants. There were chairs lining two corners of a cold, large room. When I entered the room, it became obvious that I was to strip down and sit along the wall. Luckily the first seat next to see the doctor was open and I grabbed it. After I saw the doctor, my group was asked to stand in a line and perform predefined movements, such as the 'duck walk', a movement wherein you walk on your heels and toes in a crouched position. The calisthenics were conducted in view of the doctor and the group of applicants awaiting their turn.

A funny feeling came across me while leaving the facility. It almost felt like a sadness. The only think I can attribute it to is a feeling of aloneness after being a part of something of which you have no control. Or maybe it was a feeling of a loss of self after being processed as something other than a fully autonomous being. We do as humans have a desire to be a part of something larger than ourselves, maybe that was it.

In any event, it felt good being at Freedom's Front Door, wearing the Pierre Cardin tie, a beauty; accompanied with a baby blue Calvin Klein shirt and Banana Republic navy blue striped pants.

Muchas Gracias, Ryan.

2 comments:

Jason said...

I'm pretty bummed that you won't be a pilot.

Dylan said...

Love the blog Ry.

Best get used to loss of sense of self. You do what you're told, when you're told.