Monday, April 18, 2011

For Nerds: The Garden Cheat Sheet

For those that are interested, I thought I'd post the cheat sheet (below) that I use to log and account for all the things growing in the garden. It's still a work in progress -- the intent is that it'll be the template for each successive year. It tells me what family of crops to rotate where, the correct spacing of each type of plant, what seeds to save and how, and based on last year's successes and failures, what to do differently next year.

So far, the big take-away is that I attempted to germinate the cold-weary fruits and vine crops too soon -- for instance the tomatoes, tomatillos, and watermelons -- and will have to germinate them a little later in the season next year and/or hope that we don't have a similarly late cold season as this year's. --Though I'll thankfully still have more than enough to transplant in the garden come mid May.

Here is the Google Docs link. (Note: Google Docs doesn't have a text overflow feature, so the Excel upload comes out a bit funky. You'll see you have to open up each cell to see the text).

No comments: